Friday, March 29, 2019

Travels and Cooking Lessons


I have had a number of occasions I would like to share with you since my last blog update.

Karen and I took a trip to Accra, the capital city of Ghana, to do the last bit of necessary paperwork at Ghana Immigration, to be able to stay in Ghana for three years.  Accra is a city of many contrasts – some places are very new and modern while others not so much.  We visited a shopping mall that had a couple stores where we could find most anything we really needed.  However, as we traveled by plane, we were limited in what we could buy.  At the same time, there are lots of vendors on the street, plying their wares, walking between lanes of traffic.  Oh yes, and there is lots of traffic in Accra and crazy driving in most every town of any size. 

While in Accra, we stayed at the Good Shepard Guest House where we met a number of priests and other guests. Accra has two rainy seasons, so it was much more green and lush - with actual flowers blooming - very pretty and in contrast to the dry brown we see currently in Damongo.  With the pretty green grass and flowers, however, came the humidity!  Even though the temperature was 10 degrees lower than in Damongo, it felt much hotter.

Karen and I borrowed our kitchen with a gas stove and oven to a few Form 2 and Form 3 girls who were celebrating birthdays in March.  There was a lot of cooking during the day and fun festivities, including dancing, in the evening.  Francisca, a Form 3 Food and Nutrition student, did most of the cooking and baking. 


Karen and I traveled by bus for three hours with the Form 3 girls on pilgrimage to a newly constructed Grotto, which was blessed by Bishop Peter Paul on the Feast of the Annunciation.  The first two hours of the trip was on a nice paved road, passing through a few towns of moderate size.  The last hour was on a dirt road, going further and further into what seemed like nowhere.  However, periodically, a small village would appear and you would realize you were still in civilization.

At the site of the Grotto, there was a huge iron crucifix, created by a local artist.  It was a very special day for many people.  Following the blessing of the Grotto by the Bishop we had a lovely Mass.  Karen and I were introduced to the crowd of people by the Bishop, so they would know who we are these next three years.



The girls of SAGISS wear their white uniforms for Sunday and special church occasions, like the pilgrimage.  Here are the Form 3 students in their Sunday whites, singing on the way to the Grotto.
I used my kitchen again, for two cooking practicals for my Form 1 students.   They wanted to cook some “American” food.  I had them make spaghetti and marinara sauce.  They did a wonderful job.  I invited the two girls with the highest test marks to join Karen and I in going to the market on Saturday morning to do the shopping for the practicals.  They were very helpful in both showing us how to determine what foods were fresh and also in carrying our bags of food.  They refused to let us carry anything other than the bread!    These girls are so kind and helpful.
The girls all liked the American spaghetti and are looking forward to more cooking practicals in the future.  Here is one group toasting to a wonderful meal.

The adventure continues……

7 comments:

  1. Hello my dear sister Diane! Thank you so much for your wonderful blog posts. We really enjoy the glimpse into your life in Ghana. Be assured we are praying for you! Love, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, great to hear from you. I enjoy writing the blogs. After Easter, i should be able to share my Holy Week experiences with you. Have a beautiful and joyful Easter season. Love you all.

      Delete
  2. Hi Diane! Love the hat-lovely and functional! We have you on our minds all the time and we are so happy to see what’s going on. God is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is great! He is an awesome God. Yes, I wouldn't survive without my hats. I am glad you are enjoying my experiences in Ghana. You came in as unknown. Please sign your name next time so I know who I am speaking with!😊

      Delete
  3. So great to see your posts! Sending hugs and prayers from our family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the hugs and kisses Shannon. Missing you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Diane!

    Michelle here - aka "unknown" - sorry to make you wonder who is leaving you messages :)

    Thought about you, prayed for you and missed you this Easter!! I'm so happy to see what is going on in your mission. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Chris wanted me to tell you hello. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete