Tuesday, January 29, 2019

New Home for Three Years


I have arrived at my new home for the next three years:  St. Ann's Girls Senior High School. In Damongo, Ghana.

Msgr. Augustine "Gus'" picked  us, Karen and I, up from the Tamale airport. We enjoyed a delicious lunch at the Archbishop's home ( Diocese of Tamale ).  As we made our way through Tamale, we stopped to meet and visit a  number of priests.

The trip between Tamale and Damongo by vehicle, in our case an extended cab pick-up, loaded to the brim with 7 suitcases,  took about 2 hours.  We passed a few small villages along the road, where we saw mud huts, many goats, sheep and cattle.  


There were giant ant hills, some over 10 feet tall. 
Women and children carrying large bowls filled with various foods on their heads - often times using no hands!  
I just couldn't resist stopping the vehicle to buy some plantain chips and chin-chin (cookie-like snack) to take home to munch on.  We saw many people pumping water from village wells, and then carrying heavy buckets of water to their homes.

We were fortunate to stay in an air conditioned room in the Diocese of Damongo guest house the first three days and were served food and drinks from their very popular restaurant.  We met many more priests and the Archbishop Emeritus of Tamale there.  I have not yet met the Bishop of Damongo, Bishop Peter Paul as he is currently in Europe on business.

Damongo is in the dry season now, so most everything is dry and dusty and very hot and sunny.  Mid to high 90’s is typical.  The locals say the heat is just beginning - that March and April are the really hot months. My very large sun hat is coming in extremely handy.
Saturday, we took a trip in to town to visit the big, weekly market.  It was amazing to experience.   We walked around, seeing many types of food, from fruits, vegetables, dry beans, yams, and a myriad of spices.  There were booths selling colorful, bright patterned materials.  There were people selling second-hand shoes, clothes and children’s toys.  There were people selling foods they were cooking right there in the market. I even tasted some "local" (home-made) beer,that tasted similar to apple cider/cider vinegar.
Sunday we attended Mass at St. Theresa of the Child Jesus Parish, as Msgr.  Gus was celebrating the Mass there.  We met some religious sisters there and a number of parishioners. The people I have met are very kind.     They had both a young adult choir and a tribal choir singing throughout the Mass.   You could see the joy in the young adults as they sang, their bodies swaying to the beat of the music, large smiles beaming from their faces.  Mass lasted 2 1/4 hours, but it did not seem like it; the time flew by. 

Sunday evening   we toured the new Cathedral, which took 10 years to  build.  They started using the Cathedral in 2016.  It can hold 1,000 people.  Even though it is nothing like my home U.S. parish, the Cathedral of Saint Paul, it is beautiful in its own right. I will be attending Mass at the Cathedral this coming Sunday.

Monday, the big day arrived; we moved in to our new home for the next three years.
Karen and I are sharing an apartment in a four-plex within the compound of St. Ann's Girls Senior High School.  The compound is about 2-3 miles outside town, down a dirt road, full of bumps and ruts and dust.  One needs to drive slowly.  Looks like I won't be walking in to town for safety reasons, as it is a bit desolate. I will have to find a different way to get my exercise. Thankfully the compound is walled and gated, so I feel safe. 

The apartment is very nice.  It has a large courtyard, a kitchen with new stove/oven and new refrigerator.  There is a dining/living room combo, two bedrooms, a shower, and a toilet.  The bedrooms and living room have ceiling fans, but not the kitchen. Off the living room is a nice porch to relax in. We have running water, yet there are a few plumbing issues we need to work around - nothing we can't handle.

I am writing this blog as I lay in bed, my first night in my new home.  I feel blessed, excited, a bit wound up, yet at peace.   

Please keep me in your prayers.

The adventure continues.......


15 comments:

  1. So glad your adventure is going well. Love getting an update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog Shannon. Great to get responses! Love you guys.

      Delete
  2. Our dearest Diane, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful missionary experience in Ghana with us. We are so glad your travels went well and that you are settling in to your new home. Thank you for sharing so many beautiful photos, it truly helps all of us back in the USA better visualize what you are experiencing.

    We are experiencing the opposite weather extreme in Minnesota these past few days. Last night, Jan. 29-30 it reached -76F wind chills during the night. We woke up to -33F air temperatures this morning in DL. Schools all throughout the state closed on Jan. 29 & Jan. 30.

    Please know that I am praying for you, especially today, as it is "my" day. Praying for your safety, your physical health, and your spiritual well-being. You will make a difference in the lives you are serving, and they will transform you and your life as well.

    Blessings and peace to you my dear sister!

    Love, Joy and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy and family, great to hear from you. Yes, I think I prefer my 102 degree weather to your -34 temp and snow!!! Not missing that, though miss my dear family and friends. My journey is exciting with some minor challenges but nothing I did not expect. Will keep you all updated. Keep praying for me. Love you all.

      Delete
  3. Great to hear you are well. 😁 Internet and cell is SUPER DUPER expensive here and we can only access it via cell phone wherevI am living. So I will wait for the w/e to go to a nearby resort and use their free wifi. I love it here. Very different terrain and scenery than in Ghana. Blessings to you. Stay in touch and know we continue united in prayer. 😁🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Marie! Looking forward to hearing more of your mission experiences. God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the update. Glad you and Karen have arrived safely. Looking forward to more updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog! I love sharing my experiences.

      Delete
  5. Hi Diane! Chris and I are so grateful to know you are getting settled. We love the pictures. What a wonderful adventure the Lord is giving you! You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Michelle and Chris! God has blessed me indeed, in giving me this opportunity to share his light and love with His children on a different continent. I feel so blessed. Thanks for the prayers.

      Delete
  6. Glad to see you are getting settled in. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear from you my friend =). So glad you are safe and your accommodations sound pretty nice! That is good news! I look forward to hearing about your teaching and your students and will keep you in my prayers. Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thanks for following. Next blog will give more details on my duties and the wonderful girls here at the school.It should be out early next week. Love you my friend!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the update Diane. I will continue to keep you in my prayers as you settle into your new home, doing the Lord's work.

    ReplyDelete